greenSTUDIO, an extension of Hastings Architecture Associates, is seeking a highly motivated Energy Modeler to assist our sustainability consulting group. The EM position will be responsible for preparing energy simulation models for the purpose of evaluating energy conservation strategies in architectural design projects, in addition to preparing documentation required for LEED certification.
This position will be responsible for:
- Preparation of preliminary and final design
energy simulation models for LEED project documentation.
- Preparation of written summary reports and
presentations to client and project team members.
- Uploading results and supporting documentation from the
energy modeling process to LEED Online.
- Responding to requests for clarifications from LEED
project reviewers as they relate to the energy model.
- Review of non-LEED architecture projects for determination of best practices
for orientation, skin and electricity-consuming systems.
The Energy Modeler must demonstrate:
- Comprehensive understanding of all the building systems related to energy performance
and the information needed to construct a model using the selected software.
- Ability to understand and explain capabilities and limitations of modeling software for the
strategies the team would like to pursue.
- Awareness of how much time the design team
needs to provide information, feedback, and responses to the modeling exercise.
- Experience with design phase modeling.
- Ability to demonstrate how energy modeling can be used to perform cost-benefit analysis.
- Experience in modeling projects using ASHRAE 90.1, Appendix G, or a thorough
understanding of this approach.
- Ability to perform quality control reviews to ensure that modeling inputs accurately reflect
the proposed and Appendix G baseline design.
- Ability to validate the model through review of actual utility bills during occupancy.
- Bachelor degree in architecture, mechanical engineering, or related field (emphasis on
energy management is preferred).
- Energy modeling experience: 3 years +
- A strong background in sustainable design solutions and LEED green building certification.
- LEED AP BD+C credential (must be obtained within one year of employment).
- Ability to read construction documents and Revit/ BIM models, and to extrapolate
information from design narratives.
- Experience modeling buildings with complex geometry and systems.
- Proficient in Trace 700 energy modeling software, or other energy modeling software
approved for LEED project submittal such as EnergyPlus, eQUEST, and HAP.
- Knowledge of conceptual modeling tools like Ecotect, Rhino and Sefaira a plus.
- Revit proficiency desired.
- Good working knowledge of IECC codes and ASHRAE Standards, especially 90.1.
- Self-starter with the ability to interact with a variety of project team members.